According to Podcast Insights, 17% of the U.S. population listens to podcasts weekly while 26% tunes in at least once a month. That’s roughly 73 million podcast listeners in the country alone. Getting close to that number takes long, but you can definitely start building a wider audience than what you have today.
Here are 5 strategies to extend the reach of your podcast:
- Improve Content Quality. Thrive to better your content every time you release an episode. This is one of the basics of podcasting as people subscribe to podcasts offering excellent content that people can’t get anywhere else – be it news, entertainment, or educational. Make your podcast worth listening to, to grow your listener base and retain your current subscribers. But make sure you put out consistent content and build your podcast on only one area. It is critical to risk jumping from one area to another, as this brings confusion to listeners.
- Involve Influencers. Invite social media influencers, public figures, or other podcasters to have guest appearances on some of your episodes and vice versa. This way you’d open new marketing opportunities, expose yourself to other people’s audiences, and eventually gain a substantial number of new subscribers.
- Promote your Podcast on Social Media. Since podcasts are held on the internet, there is a high possibility that the majority of listeners are social media users too, making it a great promotional tool for your podcast. Creating content for social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter boosts web-visibility. Instagram is also invaluable in social media marketing as brand posts are received exceptionally well by its users. In fact, 65% of Instagram posts are actually branded or promotional ads.
- Re-purpose Content. Developing content is an essential yet time-consuming task if you wish to establish your podcast’s presence on the web. Re-purpose your existing marketing materials instead to free you some time for strengthening the actual content of your podcast. Quickly convert blog posts into infographics, downloadable PDFs, instructional video tutorials, or even into a SlideShare that you can easily embed to relevant blog posts. This strategy increases website traffic and at the same time gives your page content variety.
- Publish Transcripts. A fantastic way to reach people pressed for time but still wants to get the latest information on a spectrum of topics is by publishing episodic podcast transcripts on your webpage. Not only that, audio transcriptions can also help your podcast extend its reach to people hard-of-hearing. If you want to store your podcast in an archive, it is highly advisable to compile them in print documents for easy access and to avoid the hassle of listening back to audio files when searching for a particular information.
Make the most out of your current marketing materials and identify other potential tools that will gain you recognition and extend the reach of your podcast.
If you’re looking into it – with TranscriptionWing, you don’t even have to worry about the transcription cost as we offer inexpensive but great quality podcast transcriptions complete with state of the art features (like ListenLink) and flexible turnaround times.